This presentation will provide an introduction to CERN and its operations, focusing on software development and the various opportunities available.
Afterward there will be a dive into the development process which is followed on the applications, presenting the various technologies, frameworks and practices followed.
Moreover we will dive into the Accelerators Logging Service one of the major big data projects at CERN and will demonstrate data analysis with Spark on Hadoop (Jupyter).
Last but not least we will conclude with the movement towards integrating all these systems together.
In the presentation three CERN developers (Anti, Starhis and Grigoris) as well as one Team Leader (Chris Roderick) will take part.
The presentation’s outline is the following:
1. A small introduction and the agenda of this presentation (Anti Asko)
2. A small introduction to CERN, Beams Department, Controls Group and Data Services, different opportunities at CERN (TECH, PJAS, FELLOW, STAFF). (Chris Roderick)
3. The development process which is followed on the applications (technologies, ACW framework, development practices). (Stathis Tantalidis)
4. A dive into the “Accelerators Logging Service”, one of the major big data projects at CERN. (Grigoris Avgitidis)
5. Will conclude with the movement towards integrating all these systems together. (Anti Asko)
Talkers: Chris Roderick, Stathis Tantalidis, Grigoris Avgitidis, Anti Asko